Preparing For Your Surgery
From the moment you walk in, Dr. Handler and his whole team are committed to making sure your surgical experience is a positive event in your live. Dedicated to answer any and all questions you may have.
A representative from Dr. Handler’s office will call at least one day prior to your surgery to discuss final details. If you do not receive a call from our office in a timely manner, or if you have any questions, please call us at (619) 583-4222
A representative of the hospital or surgical center at which your procedure is being held will also call you prior to your surgery with instructions.
If you experience any change in your physical condition prior to your surgery, such as a cold or fever, please notify our office.
Certain medications, such as blood thinners, must be stopped for a period prior to surgery. Dr. Handler will let you know when and which medications to temporarily discontinue.
You must arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home after your surgery.
Instructions Prior To Surgery
- DO NOT eat or drink anything (even ice chips) after midnight the day of your procedure.
- Shower or bathe prior to your surgery to minimize the risk of infection (Do this on the morning of or the night before for early morning procedures).
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing.
- No jewelry or body piercings are to be worn during surgery.
- Do not wear contact lenses. Bring any glasses, hearing aids, or dentures you may have with their cases for storage during your procedure.
- Bring any medications prescribed to you by Dr. Handler for your procedure.
Recovery time is very individual and usually lasts between 30 minutes and 2 hours. Your anesthesiologist will monitor your recovery and determine your length of stay. Your nurse will let you know when you are cleared to leave and will review discharge instructions with you and the person driving you home. You will also be given a written copy of instructions. Please call our office at (619) 583-4222 with any questions following your discharge from the hospital or surgical center.
Depending on the procedure performed, you will need to come into Dr. Handler’s office for a post-operative follow up appointment between one day and one week after your surgery. If you have not scheduled a follow up appointment, please call our office at (619) 583-4222 to schedule.