Breast augmentation is a surgical operation performed to increase the size and improve the shape of the breasts through the use of an implant for a number of reasons:
- To enhance the body contour of a woman, who for personal reasons feels that her breast size is too small.
- To correct a loss in breast volume after pregnancy.
- To balance breast size, when there exists a significant difference between the sizes of the breasts.
- To restore breast shape after partial or total loss of the breasts for various conditions.
- To replace existing breast implants for cosmetic or reconstructive reasons.
Conditions that involve sagging of the breast or diminished skin tone (stretch marks) may require additional surgical procedures such as a breast lift.